Thursday, March 13, 2008

Jesus and a "Flippant" Attitude...

This is a true story, that I've told on more than one occassion. So if you've heard it before, please indulge me. But its worth repeating.
I was leaving Hendersonville, NC, going toward Asheville, on NC191, when a blue Saturn "cut me off," as the driver was entering traffic.
Now, I'm not one to "drive with my horn," but this encounter was so abrubt, that I laid down on my horn, to voice my dissaproval... not to mention that I spilled my coffee.
At this point, not only did the driver of the Saturn "flip me off," but did so with gusto... shaking into her rearview mirror, the universal sign of defiance. I was outraged!!! Not only did this driver impose her place in line in front of me, she did it with a sense that she deserved to place herself in front of me, and be offended that I was not accomodating!!!! Did I mention, I spilled my coffee????
As I backed off of her bumper, I read two bumper stickers, "We Still Pray," and "WWJD?" (What would Jesus do?)..... What the Hell??!!???
My first reaction was, "you'd better 'pray' that I don't catch the next stoplight beside you, b-tch... But then, I thought, perhaps this woman was a teenager, borrowing her Mom's car for an errand. (And we tend to excuse teenagers.)
As fate would have it, the driver of the Saturn pulled into the the left turning lane, at the next stoplight, as I cruised up beside her right side. I looked over to see a woman of at least eighty years old, looking straight ahead, never glansing my way....
I was confused at first, wanting to berate her for her actions, but trying to be respectful of her age.... WWJD?
The irony of the act, the un-Christian-like act, of her symbollicaly telling me to go F--- myself was overpowered by the question, WWJD?
This time, I found joy in hypocracy... I chuckled, got another cup of coffe, and had a great day...
I'd like to think He would have done the same... K
Just one of Life's Ironies

No comments: