Friday, April 11, 2008

All My Spiritual Moments Have Been On The Road...

As far back as I can remember, the sound of rubber meeting pavement, and music from the dashboard, has represented a journey of some sort. From the old AM stations, in my early years, I would hear (from the backseat,) Hank Snow, Nat "King" Cole, Patsy Cline, and the like, competing with the road noise, for my attention.
A road trip from our house in Biltmore, NC to Tuxedo, NC wasn't just a trip... it was a journey.
I really have no conception as to how long it took us to traverse the distance. I was young, with no sense of time... But to me, it was a magical oddessy to far away places, with mysterious voices coming over a stratchy speacker, to help my journey along. Voices coming to me from far away places was magic... I couldn't get enough.
To this day, I can still recall me lying across a mohair bench seat, hearing the whining noise of $5.00 recap tires in my left ear, while "Nat" sang "Ramblin' Rose..." in my right. I find comfort in the fact that this is a good memory.
To me, music and the road have always been sacred... I guess from these childhood memories....

The other day, I was driving north from Asheville, NC to Weaverville, NC, to Pat Dore's home, (one of my "favorite peeps.") It started out as a gloomy, overcast day. But as I drove closer to her home, the skies began to clear, and as I approached her development, the sun beared down as Jim Croce blared out over the speakers, "I Got a Name," perhaps the most meaningful songs of my life.
The shackles of Winter were immediately torn from me, as the heavens opened up. The bitter-sweet torment that I was about to help my friend move away from me forever, was overwhelmwd by the fact that she chose me to help her in her journey to happiness....
By the time I got to her house, my sadness, (that she was leaving,) was overpowered by the fact that I could help her "Go there free..."
"Moving ahead, so life don't pass me by..."
I returned to my office, and asked, " did you ever have a great day because the the heavens opened up, and the weight of the world was lifted off your shoulders?" And somehow, they understood... One, in particular, knew my spiritual uplifting.
It was that day, that I found my place in this world... with the people that know me the best, but love me anyway... and I love you back.
"If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud..."
My Spiritual moments have been on the road... but my sustanance has been from the ones I choose to be around....
And somehow, I've found myself at home, with poeple I trust, and people who trust me, despite my faults...
If you ever find yourself questioning yourself, I might suggest, get in the car, roll down the windows, and drive, with the radio blasting... you might not find your epiphany.... but then, again, you might.... K

2 comments:

Moma Rhodes said...

I can truly identify with this. One of the best things about going to ETSU for the past couple of years has been the drive. I love driving over that mountain while I test my memory of a song. I sing over and over the words of Granddaddy Cook to Lil Ommie Wise and watch the scenery change. Every time I drive it, I am amazed at what I see and the peace I feel.
love ya,
Judy

Kurt said...

Not everyone could relate...
The sounds of a scratchy speaker and the fading in and out of the AM station as we traversed over the mountainside...But listening to the legends as they were being born..
And the comfort of all that...
Glory!!!!
K