Saturday, April 5, 2008

Indepedence Day... As I remember.

It was probably 1964- or '65. The world had grown old to the fact that JFK was buried and gone... And the eyes of America were watching, as to how Lyndon Johnson would address the issues of Vietnam. But for a ten-year-old boy from Biltmore, this was the first Saturday Movie outing. I'd ridden into town with my Mom, in her 1959 Rambler from time to time.... I'd even walked with her to the streets of Asheville, before. But this was an oddosey... I was alone, and given the responsibility of going to town, and coming back, without supervision, and without mishap. With ten cents in my hand, for bus fare, and a spare dime in my pocket, I waited at the intersection of Shady Oak Drive, and London Road, the dime, held clenched in my sweaty palm.In my pocket, was five Coca-cola bottle tops... the price of addmission to the movie at the Imperial Theatre. The movie started at 11:00 o'clock, as I remember...I'll be honest, I remember the ride to Pack Square, bench seats with brown "plastic-like" coverings, walking down to the Imperial... cashing in my bottle tops for my ticket. I even remember the name of the movie.... "Jason and the Argonauts," but I couldn't tell you a thing about the movie, except for the "skeleton" warriors....(If you want to gain a young lad's attention, show him some fighting skeletons!!!) I didn't have the money for popcorn, or candy.... We were poor, I guess, but I never found out until later in life..... Because, on that day, I was rich with independence... I even had the extra dime in my pocket, for the bus fare, to get home.... and I did, and remain, home....Isn't it funny, sometimes, that you don't remember the destinations... or the details, but somehow the journey remains forever embedded in your mind? I guess, we remember what's important.... Kurt
Posted by Kurt at 12:57 AM 0 comments
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)
Blog Archive
2007 (1)
November (1)
A Summer Saturday

About Me

Kurt Prinz View my complete profile

No comments: