Thursday, April 24, 2008

Girls Gone Wild....

In three days, my "little girl" turns twenty-one. Ain't it funny, how time slips away?
Now, my first reaction to this turn of events, is to look back fondly on the sweet moments we shared as "Daddy" and "Little Girl." The stories of the "Princess..." the loving look in her eyes, as she gazed up completely trusting in her "Knight in Shining Armor..." I never underestimated my role in her formative years. I wanted to be her Knight. And still do, though, weary with time.
But I can't look back upon our memories, without taking into account, a certain event on her fifteenth birthday... an event that "Rocked my world...."
Suzanne, my "ever-lovin'," on her fifteenth birthday, had arranged a road party and weekend at the Lake for Jaqui, and a few of her girlfriends. All I had to do was drive them down in the RV, and tolerate the enthusiasm of the the weekend, at the lake house.
Now for all of you parents... you know that there is never a simple trip, when you are carrying precious cargo.... And I was carrying a "boat load."
I immediately took the RV down to my local service center to make sure that the "chariot" was fit for the "Princesses." Three tires, two fire extinguishers, an NC inspection, and $1400.00 later, we were good to go.....
On the morning of our departure, I can recall the girls being dropped off at our house, one by one... and the mothers' questioning look, as they assessed their child's safety, for a weekend out. Let's face it, they were at a tender, and volatile age... and this was, perhaps their first time out. But, Suzanne is the consummate Mother. So, everything was good...
Eventually, we loaded up all the girls and cruised down the highway, toward our destination.
We were probably 45 minute into our trip, when the flashing lights of a NC State Trooper came up behind me... blue lights blaring.
Immediately, I went through an inventory in my mind...
I wasn't speeding...
My license was current....
I'd just paid for my inspection...
My tires were new....
I hadn't been drinking...
And I even had two new fire extinguishers!!!
I asked Suzanne, "What in the Hell is this?"
Now when Suzanne, being my moral compass, said "I have no idea..." I was totally at a loss.
So, when the Trooper came to my window, I genuinely asked, "What's wrong officer?"
After the legal formalities of "license and registration," the trooper cracked a smile.
"Mr. Prinz, would you care to step outside of the vehicle, and address a situation that has come to my attention?"
Being the law abiding citizen that I am, I complied.
Outside of the vehicle I saw a certain "knowing" look in the officer's eyes that said. "Mr. Prinz, I'm just doing my job."
"Mr Prinz, I've received numerous complaints that a vehicle, of your description, has caused quite a "stir." "It seems as if young girls are flashing their breasts at upcoming traffic." (!!!!!!)
Oh My God... I just had to laugh!!!
I had to acknowledge that I'd heared giggles coming from the bathroom area, but that I'd thought that maybe they were trying out make-up and such, or talking about boys... Not exposing themselves in such a "devilish" manner. The shame of it all....
What did I know?
After a few anecdotes, and a chuckle or two, I asked the officer, "Would you like to have a little fun?" Knowingly, he agreed.
We lined the girls up, outside of the vehichle, and he explained the values of the cell phone on the road, and that any actions, of any travellor could be reported to the nearest local authority, and intecepted.... and punishable, by law.
The girl were certainly humbled... and a lesson learned...
Once the girls were loaded back into the RV the Trooper and I exchanged "High Fives," and went about our different ways.
The weekend at the Lake was great... the girls were on their best behavior, and the only giggles in the night belonged to Suzanne and me, recounting the experience on the Highway.
My "Little Girl" will alway be just that...
My little girl... adventurous, naive, beyond me, and a flood of emotion...
At her worst, she and her brother are the best things I've ever known,
Besides the woman who bore them.
And, by the way, as far as I know, none of the mothers know of the misadventures of their daughters... to this day.
Such is the pity.

2 comments:

Moma Rhodes said...

Very funny story Kurt! Oh my gosh! Of course, all the parents might find out now that it is in cyberworld. Did that do it for you or did you make it a yearly event?
ha!

Kurt said...

Hey lady,
I'm hoping the statute of limitations is up on this one... At least, all of the girls are of legal age now...
It's been six years gone by... how long should a man hold back a good story???
None of the names have been withheld to implicate the guilty...
I wish the we had repeated the journey, but it evolved into the Girls' weekend at the Lake.. and that's where they are this weekend.Every Mother's Day weekend, or there abouts... they go down.... Good for them....K